Thursday, September 1, 2011

Welcome!

As I'm about to write this welcome post, my husband and I are in the midst of a conversation about the impact of media on our children. From TV to Teen Magazine, our kids are surrounded by the voices of this world. They are taught to think of themselves first, that disrespecting authority is cool, and that they must have the newest and best toys in order to be happy.

Sometimes families will turn to their local library to have better influences on their children. Because, of course, reading is a better sport than sitting on the couch in front of a video game. And while I would recommend reading and would turn to a book before a movie any day, I'm not so sure that just because it's a book means that the influences are always for the best.

My children and I love visiting our local library. It's one of our favorite outings (to this the librarians can attest). Two years ago I started searching the picture book shelves with a fine-tooth comb. Starting with A and moving to Z, each week I scoured the titles, turned many pages, and looked for books that wouldn't undermine what our children were learning at home about the Lord, about themselves, and about others. We found a lot of great books but we passed over about 9 for each "keeper". I'm glad our library has a large children's room. If not, we'd be reading the same 50 books until the cows come home!

The reason I've created "B is for Book" is to keep track of all the wonderful books that we have found and to provide a useful resource for other Christian families who are on the same quest as are we: to find media that will support the biblical values we are teaching our children.

So, have a look around. I'll be adding books all the time, but probably new posts will come weekly or bi-weekly depending on our library visits. Each book will have its own post and will be labeled according to subject. I will also endeavor to include the author/illustrator, subject, appropriate age range, and any other commentary from our own experience reading the books. I will not include books that we haven't read or that we will not read - meaning, no bad reviews. And I may even include some books for parents on subjects like cooking wither your kids, parenting, teaching, etc.

If you're looking for a specific genre of books, a particular author/illustrator, or needing some ideas to get started, just check out the side bar "I'm Goin' on a Book Hunt". Or use the search bar for more specific queries.

And just to clarify...these books are not all - not even nearly all - Christian books. Some will inevitably deal directly with character qualities, biblical principles, or godly values but I will not focus on such books. Hopefully this will be a resource where you can find books about trucks, telling the truth, and everything in between.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment